StLouis-MO-L Archives

Archiver > StLouis-MO > 2003-01 > 1043813107

Subject: Re: [StLouis-MO] Joseph A. Sires
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:05:07 EST

Dear Chelie,

On page 150 of The Founding Family of St. Louis by Mary B. Cunningham and the
late Jeanne C. Blythe (St. Louis, 1977):

"321 Virginia Labbadie
"Born 1808; died September 18, 1828. Married June 27, 1827 St. Louis to
Joseph Aime Sire [no s on the end of his surname], son of Jacques Sire and
Marianne Alvarez. He was born in La Rochelle, France [my family is from La
Rochelle also] February 17, 1799 and died July 16, 1857 St. Louis. He came
to America at the age of 15 and settled in Philadelphia; came to St. Louis in
1826 and was a clerk in the employ of Sylvestre Labbadie. They had one son
Jules Sire who died October 22, 1828 aged 2 months.

"He married a second time June 29, 1852 Rebecca Sefton, widow of Auguste Rene
Chouteau (131)."

There appear not to be any accents in this book; I believe that Joseph's
middle name should be Aimé [that was my great great grandfather's nickname]
and Auguste's middle name should be René.

Hope this helps your friend,

Betty Torno

This thread: