SIMS-L Archives

Archiver > SIMS > 2008-05 > 1209874747

From: "Charles Sims" <>
Subject: Re: [SIMS] Zachariah Simms, patriot
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 23:19:49 -0500

Brenda, Looks as if the John Sims, b. abt. 1758 probably in Granville Co.,
N.C. and died abt. 1810/12 in Hopkins Co., KY. was a son of Nathan Sims and
wife Agnes Bullock. I don't have a copy, but read somewhere this John Sims
left a Last Will and Testament naming two of his children. All I've ever
seen is that John's wife was Ann.

Children:

1) Ann Isabella Sims
b. abt. 1792 Abbeville Co., SC.
d. date & place?
m. 23 Dec. 1810 Hopkins Co., KY.
husband: William Bishop
b. abt,. 1790 where?
d. Oct. 1847 Hopkins Co., KY.

2) Agnes Sims
b. abt. 1794 Abbeville Co., SC.
d. date & place?
m. 13 May 1811 Hopkins Co., KY.
husband: William Patton Alexander
b. abt. 1787 where?
d. 8 Jan. 1815 Chalmette, St. Bernard Parish, LA.
Note: Agnes (Sims) Alexander
2nd married 19 May 1825 Hopkins Co., KY.
husband: Larkin Beshears

3) Starling Sims
b. abt. 1797 probably- Abbeville Co., SC.
d. 1827 Hopkins Co., KY.
Will probated Aug. 1827
m. 18 May 1820 Hopkins Co., KY.
wife: Mary Ann Holloman
b. abt. 1799 North Carolina
d. date? probably- Hopkins Co., KY.
her parents:
William Harrison Holloman (1774-1836)
& wife: Nancy Jane Baker( ? - 1860)

Children as I've heard of born to Starling Sims and wife Mary Ann Holloman:

1) John Sims
b. abt. 1821 Hopkins Co., KY.
d. before 1880 where?
m. 29 Aug. 1842 Hopkins Co., KY.
wife: Adeline Graham

2) Larkin Sims
b. abt. 1823 Hopkins Co., KY.
no further data known to me of him.

3) Lenora Ann Sims
b. abt. 1826 Hopkins Co., KY.
no further data known to me of her.

4) Elizabeth Ellender Sims
b. abt. 1828 Hopkins Co., KY.
d. date & place?
m. 7 Aug. 1852 Hopkins Co. KY.
husband: James T. Bird

By the way, the name Starling or Sterling Sims is found in my Sims ancestry
as well as in branches of the Sims lineage from which I'm a descendant.

John Sims that married Frances Tucker and resided in Spartanburg Co., SC.
was a son of Robert Sims, III and wife Grissey or Gressy. Robert Sims, III
was a sibling brother to my GGGGG Grandfather William Sims.
I've a good record with documentation on this Sims lineage in America. Here
again the name Starling Sims is found in the first child born to John Sims
and wife Frances Tucker.
Starling Sims
b. 24 Aug. 1793 Spartanburg Co., SC.
d. 26 Oct. 1862 Benton Co., AL.
Note: Benton is presently Calhoun Co., AL.
m. abt. 1813 probably- Spartanburg Co., SC.
wife: Catherine P. Draper
b. 20 Aug. 1795 where?
d. 2 Nov. 1857 Benton Co., AL.
Starling Sims and wife Catherine P. Draper are both buried in the Union
Methodist Church Cemetery at or near Wellington, Calhoun Co., AL.
Starling & Catherine (Draper) Sims had ten children.
I've names and data on all the ten children.
One son, William Martin Sims, also had a son named Starling P. Sims, born
abt. 1857 probably near Helena, AR. and died 1894 in Ellis Co., TX. He
married abt. 1877 probably in Ellis Co., TX. to Nannie Green. Starling &
wife Nannie are both buried in the Bethel Methodist Church Cemetery at
Bethel, Ellis Co., TX.

Oh, Yes, The estate record of Starling Sims (1793-1862) is available in OLD
RECORDS OF ESTATES AND ADMINISTRATIONS, BENTON (CALHOUN) COUNTY, ALABAMA -
Volume I Published by Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society, Inc. P.O.
Box 674 Gadsden, AL. 35902

I've been in contact with one the descendants of Starling Sims (1793-1862)
and he is a 24 point DNA exact match with other Sims descendants of my Sims
ancestry in America.
two of those other Sims descendants with 24 point DNA matches are
descendants of Nathan Sims and wife Agnes Bullock, so that also connects
your Starling Sims, son of John Sims and wife Ann.

I know this is quite a bit of data all at once, but think this will help you
with your search.
Also, Nathan Sims was a Revolutionary War Soldier.
Held rank of Pvt. in A South Carolina unit.
Ref: Pg. 68 of "The Sims Family" by: National Genealogical Research
Institute.

Nathan Sims; Last will and Testament dated 15 Dec. 1802 in Abbeville Co.,
SC. Recorded 20 Jan. 1803. Ref: Box 87, Packet 2150

Note: Nathan Sims and wife Agnes Bullock also has a son named Starling Sims,
b. abt. 1772 Abbeville Co., SC. d. 12 June 1846 Martin Co., IN. He married
abt. 1794 in GA. to Sarah Howard and they had fourteen Children, most born
in Know Co., KY. I've data on the children if you are interested.

Sincerely, Charles E. Sims