SCT-EAST-LOTHIAN-L Archives

Archiver > SCT-EAST-LOTHIAN > 2001-10 > 1003478177

From: "Alan Baillie" <>
Subject: [SCT-EAST-LOTHIAN] SIMPSON, PURVES, CRAIK, STEWART, ROBERTSON, BATHGATE, KNOX, PEARSE
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:56:17 +0100

Hi all

Well, I haven't had much luck with my BAILLIE query (Garvald), so here are a few of my SIMPSON and related relatives from East Lothian (a little more recent), to see if they ring a bell with anyone.

I've got more of this family if anyone out there is connected with it.

Cheers

Alan

1) William SIMPSON, born 1814, married Robina DICKSON (born about 1822, died in Haddington in 1905 aged 84) on 28 May 1843 in Peebles. In 1881, he was farm steward, Pencaitland, East Lothian. He was living in Haddington at the time of the 1891 census but died there later that year.

2) Christina SIMPSON, born 1846, married Andrew PURVES (of Samuelston, Gladsmuir, East Lothian, son of William PURVES and Euphemia BERTRAM) in 1870 at Halkerston, Borthwick, died a widow in 1933, at Caldra, Longformacus. She had at least the following children:

- William PURVIS, born 26 September 1871, birth registered at Gladsmuir, East Lothian, and Eddlestone, Peeblesshire

- Thomas PURVES, born 8 April 1873 at Seton, Tranent, East Lothian

- Mary Veitch PURVES, born in Tranent 13 November 1874, who married William CRAIK (son of John CRAIK and Mary RATHIE) at Meikle Pinkerton, Dunbar, on 28 July 1899.

- Euphemia Bertram PURVES, born at Seton, Tranent, 11 December 1876, married James STEWART, died 28 February 1950 in Lasswade, Midlothian. She had at least one son

- James STEWART, of Tynehead, Midlothian, in 1950

-David PURVES, born at Boggs, Pencaitland, East Lothian, 29 June 1878

3) Mary Veitch ROBERTSON, born 1872; married James PURVES (son of James PURVES and Janet BURNS) and died at Greendykes, Gladsmuir, East Lothian, aged 58 on 9 March 1931. Buried in Gladsmuir. She had at least one daughter:

-Janetta S(impson?) B PURVES, born about 1908, died 8 February 1986 aged 77, mentioned on her mother's gravestone in Gladsmuir

4) Thomas SIMPSON, born 1851, married Helen SANDERSON. From at least 1899 he farmed at Fenton Barns, halfway between Drem and Dirleton. Died 2 September 1929 at West Mains Pencaitland. Had two daughters:

-Jane Black SIMPSON, born about 1872

-Mary Veitch SIMPSON, born about 1873

one of whom married ? BATHGATE, (who seems to have taken over Fenton Barns then moved to Byres, a farm half-way between Haddington and Aberlady), and was mother of

-Tom BATHGATE, farmer near Tranent

5) Margaret SIMPSON, born1838; married Archibald KNOX (son of James KNOX and Annie FOGGO) in 1875 in Musselburgh, when she was a domestic servant at Thornton Loch, Innerwick. Living in Garvald, in 1881. Had 1 child:

- Helen Stewart KNOX, born in Garvald 18 July 1877, who married Peter PEARSE and had four children

- William PEARSE

- Archibald PEARSE

- Margaret PEARSE

- Elsie PEARSE