PIKE-L Archives

Archiver > PIKE > 1997-09 > 0875153260

From: Sharon Pike <>
Subject: Re: PIKE, HUGH, SR. B. CA-1657
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 19:07:40 -0700

MR GARY D MURRAY wrote:

> Hugh Pike, sr. was born ca-1657 in newbury, mass. and d. 22 dec. 1727
> in newbury, mass. he married twice to sarah brown and mary woodies.
> i have his children as mary pike who m. timothy french; hugh pike who
> m. hannah emerson [my line] and also hannah kelly; joseph pike who m.
> johanna head. does anyone know the ancestors of hugh pike, sr.?
> i am new to this list and i'm sure this has been here before but i
> have been searching for many years and cannot find anything on this
> man's parents or ancestors. i am sure he is related to john pike but
> how i'm not sure. thanks to all for any info.
> gary in oregon

Gary,
It looks like we are researching the same Pike family! My husband Greg
is a
descendant of Hugh Pike and Sarah Brown. His line is:

Hugh Pike m. Sarah Brown
Hugh Pike m. Hannah Emerson
James Pike m. Anne George
James Pike Jr. m. Alice George
Rufus Pike m. Elisa Nelson
James Single Pike m. Harriet Weed
James William Pike m. Ruth Marden
Gene Marden Pike m. Marian Curtis
Greg Pike m. Sharon Sabel

Somewhere in my piles of notes, I have info on Hugh Pike. I believe
that he
is listed as a servant of John Rolfe, probably signifying that Rolfe
paid for
his passage to Mass. The only unproven link in this linage is the
parents of
Rufus Pike. If my dates are correct, Alice George Pike would have been
56 years
old when Rufus was born. In one account, he said that his mother was
named Alice
but he had a sister named Alice (who could have been his mother at 31,
no record
of any marriage). At any rate, he grew up in the household of James and
Alice and
later his brother Major Samuel Pike.

I have a very interesting account of Rufus' family journey by wagon to
Wisconsin
and Minnesota in 1851. It was written by Orin Pike, son of Rufus, when
he was
81 years old, about 1926. I'll be happy to send you copies.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Sharon

This thread: