PHILLIPS-L ArchivesArchiver > PHILLIPS > 2003-04 > 1050801540
Subject: [PHILLIPS] Phillips Family of Centeral MS Mid 1800s
Date: 19 Apr 2003 19:19:00 -0600
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Surnames: Bradshaw, Wiggins, Hales, Sterrett, Laughlin, Dungan, Easterling
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
Seeking information relating to this Phillips family. I am a descendant of Fielding Phillips b. Abt. 1832 in MS. I have a fair handle on his descendants and communicate with a number of them, but have little information on his siblings. Many members of this family migrated to north central LA (Richland Parish area). Always looking for additional, supportive and or corrective information. Related surnames include: Bradshaw, Wiggins, Hales, Sterrett, Laughlin, Dungan, Easterling and others. Welcome any information and glad to share what I have. I am also posting on the Phillips Family and Scott County MS Forums.
Phillips Family of Central MS Mid 1800s
Generation No. 1
Family researchers differ as to the head of this family, having at least two candidates, those being:
1. JOHN PHILLIPS was born Abt. 1785 in KY, and died in MS. He married SARAH UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1793 in GA, and died Abt. 1855 in MS.
2. JAMES PHILLIPS b. 1765 in Barnwell County South Carolina d. 11 August 1838 in Hinds County MS. He married SARAH COLLINS b. 1796 in GA
Children of JOHN/JAMES PHILLIPS and SARAH are:
2. i. W. M. PHILLIPS, b. 1819, MS.
3. ii. GEORGE PHILLIPS, b. 1823, MS.
4. iii. JOHN M. PHILLIPS, b. 1828, MS.
5. iv. FIELDING P. PHILLIPS, b. 1832, MS d. Abt. 1918.
6. v. SARAH ANN PHILLIPS, b. 1834, MS; d. Aft. 1880.
Generation No. 2
2. W. M. PHILLIPS was born 1819 in MS. He married ELIZABETH UNKNOWN 1848. She was born Abt. 1828 in Georgia.
Child of W. PHILLIPS and ELIZABETH UNKNOWN is:
i. OPHILIA PHILLIPS, b. Abt. 1848, MS.
3. GEORGE PHILLIPS was born 1823 in MS. He married ELIZABETH MARY SMITH December 07, 1847 in Rankin County MS. She was born Abt. 1829 in SC.
Children of GEORGE PHILLIPS and ELIZABETH SMITH are:
i. CELICITY PHILLIPS, b. Abt. 1848, Rankin Co. MS.
ii. HARRETT PHILLIPS, b. Abt. 1849, Rankin Co. MS.
4. JOHN M. PHILLIPS was born 1828 in MS. He married SARAH ANN DUNAGAN August 02, 1846 in Rankin County MS. She was born Abt. 1830 in MS.
Children of JOHN PHILLIPS and SARAH DUNAGAN are:
i. LETHA PHILLIPS, b. Abt. 1850.
ii. WILLIAM PHILLIPS, b. Abt. 1859, MS; m. SALLIE ????; b. 1861.
iii. JOHN S. PHILLIPS.
5. FIELDING P. PHILLIPS was born 1832 in MS, and died Abt. 1918. He married CLARISSA ANN BRADSHAW February 17, 1857 in Rankin County MS, daughter of BARNABUS BRADSHAW and ELEANOR WIGGINS. She was born Abt. 1839 in Sampson County NC, and died Abt. 1918.
Children of FIELDING PHILLIPS and CLARISSA BRADSHAW are:
i. WILLIAM WESLEY PHILLIPS, b. Abt. 1857.
ii. LOU JEAN PHILLIPS, b. July 1862; d. August 1926; m. WILLIS BLACKMAN BRADSHAW, September 16, 1879, Scott Co MS; b. May 20, 1848, MS; d. 1910, Smith County, MS.
iii. SARAH FRANCIS PHILLIPS, b. November 28, 1862, Scott County, MS; d. June 27, 1942; m. PETER A. HALES, Abt. 1880, Smith County MS; b. April 02, 1860, MS; d. February 09, 1910, Polkville, Smith County MS.
iv. BETSY MISSOURI PHILLIPS, b. December 13, 1867, Scott County MS; d. March 17, 1952, Saline County AR; m. (1) SAMUEL PATTERSON STERRETT, December 13, 1885, Scott County MS; b. May 1864, AL; m. (2) WALTER HEATH, Aft. 1910.
v. WILLIAM HENRY PHILLIPS, b. May 11, 1869, MS; d. October 02, 1960, LA; m. (1) NADINE "NETTIE" MCCARTNEY; b. 1870; d. 1910, Polkville, Smith County MS; m. (2) FANNIE GARVAN; b. March 25, 1897; d. September 25, 1956.
vi. JOHN ATTISON PHILLIPS, b. September 1873, MS; d. Baskin, LA; m. (1) LEANDER SMITH; m. (2) SALLIE MAE DAVIS, Abt. 1890; b. September 1867; m. (3) UNKNOWN SURNAME, Abt. 1890; b. TX.
vii. JAMES TURNER PHILLIPS, b. Abt. 1873, MS; d. May 25, 1946, Richland Parish LA; m. WILLIE ANN EASTERLING, March 05, 1899, Scott County MS; b. June 1880.
viii. ROBERT WILLIS PHILLIPS, b. January 01, 1875, MS; d. June 24, 1962, Polkville, Smith County MS; m. (1) LULA M. PHILLIPS, November 13, 1898, Scott County MS; b. 1882, Polkville, Smith County, MS; d. 1919, Polkville, Smith County MS; m. (2) DELLA E. SULLIVAN, May 24, 1919, Smith County MS; b. 1893; d. 1936.
ix. CLARA ANN PHILLIPS, b. August 07, 1880, (Near) Jackson MS; d. November 19, 1940, Joaquin, Shelby County TX; m. WALTER LESTER LAUGHLIN, Abt. 1898, Near Jackson MS; b. September 22, 1870, Central MS (presumed); d. March 15, 1960, Eustace, Henderson County TX.
6. SARAH ANN PHILLIPS was born 1834 in MS, and died Aft. 1880. She married (1) JOHN WILLIAM DUNGAN September 28, 1852 in Rankin County MS, son of JOHN DUNGAN and SARAH HEAD. She married (2) UNKNOWN ZIEGLER. She married (3) JASPER ADKINS. She married (4) UNKNOWN CREAMER. He was born 1824 in Clark County AL, and died Abt. 1870.
Children of SARAH PHILLIPS and JOHN DUNGAN are:
i. SARAH E. DUNGAN, b. 1854.
ii. GEORGE RICHARD DUNGAN, b. June 07, 1855; d. January 29, 1913, TX; m. SARAH ELIZABETH ARNOLD, April 09, 1874, Lexington, TX; b. April 27, 1859; d. June 21, 1942, Bastrop County TX.
iii. ALBERT BROWN DUNGAN, b. June 16, 1857, MS; d. August 19, 1929; m. SARAH "SALLIE" L. ADKINS; b. February 14, 1866, FL; d. September 15, 1957.
iv. JOHN DUNGAN, b. Abt. 1859; d. Bef. 1870, MS.
v. HORACE DUNGAN, b. Abt. 1865, MS.
vi. VICTORA DUNGAN, b. Abt. 1866, MS; m. WILLIAM CLARK.
vii. T. A. DUNGAN, b. Abt. 1870, TX.