PERRY-L Archives

Archiver > PERRY > 2000-07 > 0964400835

From: (Tommy Stephenson)
Subject: [PERRY] Perrys AL,TN,S.C.and N.C.
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 01:07:15 +0000

I am an avid Stephenson and Perry researcher.
Stephensons,Stevensons,and Stinsons and Perrys have crossed paths in several
places. I am interested in the ones below.

Rachel Perry married John Logan in August 1784 in Charleston South Carolina.

Logans and a Perry in Lincoln County,Ky.
David Logan married Mary Perry of Virginia. They had seven children: Hugh
Logan; Betsy Logan; Polly Logan; Margaret Logan; John Logan; David Logan
and George Logan. John Logan, the 5th child, was born in Lincoln Co,
Ky, 4 May 1790. He married Malinda Stephenson, daughter of David
Stephenson and Mary Logan and the grand-niece of Benjamin Logan.
These people lived in Lincoln County,TN. Logans,Whitleys,and Stephensons
intermarried in Lincoln County,Ky

Robert Stephenson who married Elizabeth Whitley in Lincoln County,Ky died in
Limestone County,AL. in 1830. He had a son Logan Stephenson and probably a
son Green Stinson who shows up on the 1860 census of Limestone County,Alabama
Green Stinson 53 b. AL.
Malinda J. 38 b. TN.
Green Stinson and Malinda Jane PERRY married in Rutherford County,TN.
I am also interested in a James Strother Perry who lived in Limestone
County,AL. in 1860. I have in my notes that James Strother Perry was in
Rutherford County,TN in 1810.
I was also sent this note by Steve Watson on Perrys in Rutherford:

I have some limited information on a James S. Perry that was in Rutherford
Co., TN in 1839. He and his sister (Sarah Ann Perry, wife of Wm. Owen)
executed a deed for some land there on April 5, 1839. They were children of
Nathaniel Perry and Ann "Nancy" Ivey. Nathaniel was a son of Drury Perry who
died in Wilson Co. In 1814. Nancy (Ann) Ivey was a daughter of Sarah Rutledge
and unknown Ivey. Sarah Rutledge later married a Liddon. The land was located
on the Stones River and was from a grant that Sarah Rutledge/Ivey/Liddon
received as heir (daughter) of Wm. Rutledge Rev. War Soldier.
I appreciate very much the above message send to me by Steve Watson!

I do know that a Rev. Moore Stevenson in Wilson County,TN left a will in
Wilson County,TN in 1818 in which he named his daughter Elizabeth Perry.

I am interested in a book called "Allens of the Southern States"by Norma
Carter Miller. This book mentions a Samuel Stephenson who married Jane Allen
on August,1790 in Warren Co.North Carolina. The book also describes a court
case between Perrys and Stephensons over a cow. However, I failed to copy
the information and hope some day to find the book again.

My main interest is my George Alexander Stephenson who married Elizabeth
Sarah Perry in Giles County,TN. in 1849. The following Perrys were living
in Giles in 1850 who seem to be Elizabeth's parents:

William Perry was living in Giles County,TN. in 1850
>William was born somewhere in South Carolina in 1795
>wife was Elizabeth b. 1795 SC.
>
>Children:
>
>Nancy ,20, b.SC
>Josuha, 18,b.SC
>Susan ,15, b.SC
>William,12 b.SC
>Luann ,9, b.SC

My George Alexander Stephenson was born in Limestone County,AL. in 1822. We
are said to be cousins to Robert Stephenson. The Orphans Court record below
mentions Greenup Stephenson, who I believe married Malinda Jane Perry. I
think I would have dropped the "Greenup and gone by Green:

1830 Limestone County,Al. Orphans Court
p.1 of Alabama records
Vol 95.
Limestone County,

Elizabeth Stephenson,administrator of Robert Stephenson deceased,it appears
to the satisfaction of the Court that be published to Sinthia Wheat,Susannah
Ming,Greenup Stephenson and Freedom Stephenson duly made and William Wheat
and Ester his wife,Elliott H. Nixon and Jane Nixon his wife,Logan Stephenson
and Mary his wife,here in open court acknowledge due notice, Robert Austin
Guardian ad litem for Andrew and James Stephenson,Oct 11,1830.

The Andrew Stinson on the 1860 census was probably Andrew the minor
mentioned in the Robert Stephenson will
Andrew J. Stinson 48 b. Ky
Sarah 22 b. AL.
Elizabeth 17 b. Al
Mary 12 b, AL
Robert 10/12 Al

These Stephensons in several records are referred to as "Stinson". The
Stephensons of Chester County,South Carolina went by the surname "Stinson"
but there true surname was "Stephenson."

This thread: