MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2008-01 > 1200000444

From: Jackie King <>
Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY] RHODES change - new son of Robert Rhodes
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:27:24 -0600

List -

As with many people of this era, you will find this Hillary listed with
several different ages in various census and other documents and as with
others in the Rhodes family, Rhodes is spelled variously. But in short,
here is what I have on Hillary -

Hillary Rhodes b. abt 1818 in Kentucky and d. 7 Mar 1877 in Macoupin
Co., IL. He m. 1st Louisa Mattingly (d/o of Charles Fowler Mattingly and
Henrietta Henry Miles); m. 2nd on 19 Apr 1866 in Marion Co. Rebecca
Lake, b. 1826 and d.?. He m. 3rd on 5 Oct 1869 in Macoupin Co., IL
Mrs. Matilda Hall, b. about 1818 and died ?. He married 4th Phebe A.
Tibbetts on 10 Jan 1877 in Macoupin Co., IL.

Children of Hillary Rhodes and Louisa Mattingly are:

1. Elizabeth Isabella (who also appears as Mahalia in some documents) b.
Sep. 1838 in Marion Co., KY and d. unknown. She married Francis Marion
Ray on 6 Dec 1870 in Macoupin County, IL

2. Mary Cordelia Rhodes, b. 15 Jan 1840 in Marion Co., KY and d.
unknown. She also married a Ray.

3. Charles Matthew Rhodes, b. 8 Jan 1843 in Marion Co., KY and d. 29 Jan
1926 in Macoupin Co., IL. Charles m. 1st Julia Ann Ray on 2 Mar 1862 in
Macoupin Co., IL and 2nd, her sister Teresa Jane Ray Rhodes on 23 May
1888 in Sangamon Co., IL.

4. William M. Rhodes, b. 1 Apr 1844 in Marion Co. KY and d. 3 Feb 1931
in Macoupin Co., IL. He married 1. Ambrosia Smith on 3 Dec 1868 in
Macoupin Co., IL. and 2nd Mary Adela Vantuyl.

5. Anna Jane (or Nancy J.) Rhodes b. abt 1847 in Marion Co., KY

6. Louisa Isabella Rhodes b. 28 Oct 1849

7. Sarah Catherine Rhodes b. 7 May 1853 in Marion Co., KY

8. John Henry Rhodes b. 7 May 1854 in Marion Co., KY and d. 20 Sep 1883
in Macoupin Co., IL. He m. Teresa Jane Ray on 2 Apr 1879 in Macoupin Co.

9. Frances Lavinia Rhodes b. 7 May 1859 prob. Marion Co., KY. She
married on 29 Feb 1876 in Macoupin Co., William Jarvis.

With Rebecca Lake, Hillary had one child -

10. George W. Rhoads (George almost consistently uses this spelling) b.
16 Apr 1863 and d. 4 Mar 1956 in Muhlenberg Co. George married two
sisters. On 15 Jan 1890 in Ohio Co. he married Nancy L. Foreman and on 9
May 1900 he married Louella Foreman.

George presents another conundrum in the Rhodes line. His birthdate is
actually before Hillary and Rebecca Lake were married. It is unknown if
Hillary divorced Rebecca before moving to Illinois or just picked up the
rest of his family and left. But there is no doubt that the two were
married.

The Ray spouses are all children of Joseph Ray and Teresa Mills.

Jackie