KEMP-L Archives

Archiver > KEMP > 2009-09 > 1253665605

Subject: Re: [KEMP] Wilson Kemp, 1817 Gwinnett Co, GA
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:26:45 -0400

Connie, the estate papers of Moses Kemp are very hard to read, and harder still now for me than when I first copied them.  He died intestate and there are many pages in the file, but the page that is an "Estimation paid to the legatees" list as legatees Pleasant Hudson (Sarah Kemp), George Ross (Gilly Kemp), Richard Kemp - who was the administrator until his death in 1812, Thos Kemp and Aron Kemp.

Jump forward to 1825, when a final settlement was made on a piece of land that belonged to Moses Kemp, and it is signed  by "Peter Shockley Claimant under ___ of Aaron Kemp legal heirs of said decd", and Wiley Kemp heir at law.  This Wiley Kemp I believe was my ancestor, son of Richard Kemp, grandson of Moses Kemp.

Do you know what the source is for  inclusion of Wiley Kemp of Edgefield, Wilson Kemp, Nancy, etc. as children of Moses Kemp? I have actually seen Hicksey Kemp attached to other parents, I don't believe she ever was in SC, but really don't know who her parents were. On the other hand, Gilly Kemp is never included as a daughter of Moses Kemp, yet her husband George Ross is included in all the estate papers of Moses Kemp as an heir. There is a Solomon Kemp mentioned in the estate papers, but not as a legatee on the papers I have - I believe he bought at the estate sale though and it could be I am missing pertinent papers.  I hope to re-copy the papers at the library, to see if I can get better copies.

Susan Finlay
0A