HILL-L Archives

Archiver > HILL > 2003-09 > 1063904578

Subject: [HILL-L] Swinfield Hill, Pittsylvania Co. VA
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:02:58 EDT

Hello Everyone,

I am tracking families in what is now Franklin Co. VA, but what was
Lunenberg (then Halifax, then Pittsylvania, then Henry <sigh>). To wit: Simmons,
Choate, Byrd/Bird, Standifer, Richardson, Treadway, Renfro, Patterson, Hale etc.

They appear in various deeds and tax lists near one another (see below). I
know at one point I asked about Swinfield several years ago. Most of the above
families had their origin in Baltimore Co. MD.

Are there any Swinfield Hill researchers on the list still? Where weres he
or his parents from? Below are two tax lists, as well as a post I did on
Swinfield several years ago to this list. What I recall is that a subscriber wrote
me and suggested this information was very wrong -- which often happens for
early settlers in what is now Franklin Co. VA. Many came down the Shenandoah
Valley Wagon Road from PA/MD/DE. But many also came from Tidewater and
Piedmont Counties (Amelia, Powhatan, Henrico, others).

With apologies to Byron for not asking his permission, I paste in some
earlier posts, including a Hill Standefur marriage. They say his father Robert was
from Ireland, but I'd like to know whether they arrived in PA or DE and spent
a few years in Baltimore area before moving with others to the Rocky Mount, VA
area, which was on the route to NC across the Blue Ridge just after the trip
down the Shenandoah Valley.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Best Regards,
Janet Hunter