GROSS-L ArchivesArchiver > GROSS > 2004-02 > 1077051626
From: "Jack Heine" <>
Subject: [GROSS-L] GROSS FAMILY
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:00:26 -0700
The following is what I have on my Gross ancestors, appreciate any help on filling in blanks spots.
Descendants of William Le Gros
Generation No. 1
1. WILLIAM1 LE GROS He married ELIANOR.
Notes for WILLIAM LE GROS:
He is first mentioned in 1312, when he is named in the will of Sir Simon de Forneals de Pelham, Knt.
Child of WILLIAM LE GROS and ELIANOR is:
2. i. WALTER2 GROSS.
Generation No. 2
2. WALTER2 GROSS (WILLIAM1 LE GROS)
Children of WALTER GROSS are:
3. i. HUGO3 GROSS.
ii. ROBERT GROSS.
Generation No. 3
3. HUGO3 GROSS (WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS) He married ALECIA.
Children of HUGO GROSS and ALECIA are:
4. i. OLIVER4 GROSS.
ii. WILLIAM GROSS.
iii. THOMAS GROSS.
iv. JOHN GROSS.
Generation No. 4
4. OLIVER4 GROSS (HUGO3, WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS)
Child of OLIVER GROSS is:
5. i. OLIVER5 GROSS.
Generation No. 5
5. OLIVER5 GROSS (OLIVER4, HUGO3, WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS)
Notes for OLIVER GROSS:
He possessed several manors, He was among the retinue of the Earl of Suffolk at the battle of Agincourt in 1415.
Children of OLIVER GROSS are:
6. i. WILLIAM6 GROSS, b. Abt. 1451.
ii. JEAN GROSS.
Generation No. 6
6. WILLIAM6 GROSS (OLIVER5, OLIVER4, HUGO3, WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS) was born Abt. 1451. He married MARIE DUGES.
Notes for WILLIAM GROSS:
He emigrated to England from France in 1485. He had letters of denization as "Guillume le Gross, de la Noue," and as being in England two years.
Children of WILLIAM GROSS and MARIE DUGES are:
7. i. JOHN7 GROSS, b. 4 May 1484, Noue, France; d. 1515, England.
ii. MARIE GROSS.
iii. FRANCOIS GROSS.
Generation No. 7
7. JOHN7 GROSS (WILLIAM6, OLIVER5, OLIVER4, HUGO3, WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS) was born 4 May 1484 in Noue, France, and died 1515 in England. He married MARGARET HUDSON 1510, daughter of THOMAS HUDSON.
Notes for JOHN GROSS:
He came with his parents to England in 1485, and evidently came into possession of the estates in Norfolk and Suffolk, which had been in the family for generations, as his children had these lands from their parents "of Norfolk and Lichard, Cornwall"
Children of JOHN GROSS and MARGARET HUDSON are:
8. i. JOHN8 GROSS, b. 1511; d. 1586.
ii. WILLIAM GROSS, b. 6 September 1512.
iii. THOMAS GROSS, b. 1513.
Generation No. 8
8. JOHN8 GROSS (JOHN7, WILLIAM6, OLIVER5, OLIVER4, HUGO3, WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS) was born 1511, and died 1586. He married MARGERY CANDLE 14 December 1539 in Kelsagh.
Children of JOHN GROSS and MARGERY CANDLE are:
9. i. WILLIAM9 GROSS, b. Kelsagh, Suffolk, England.
ii. THOMAS GROSS, b. 1540.
iii. JOHN GROSS.
iv. CATHRYNE GROSS, b. 1545.
v. MARY GROSS, b. 1547.
vi. PHYLYSE GROSS, b. 1547.
vii. JOHN GROSS, b. 1549.
viii. ABRAHAM GROSS, b. 1551.
ix. MARGERY GROSS, b. 1554.
x. NYCOLAS GROSS, b. 1556.
xi. SAMUELL GROSS, b. 1563.
xii. RAYNOLD GROSS, b. 1565.
Generation No. 9
9. WILLIAM9 GROSS (JOHN8, JOHN7, WILLIAM6, OLIVER5, OLIVER4, HUGO3, WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS) was born in Kelsagh, Suffolk, England. He married MARY. was born 1.
Children of WILLIAM GROSS and MARY are:
10. i. ISAAC10 GROSS, b. 19 November 1585, Kelsagh, Suffolk, England; d. May 1649, Boston, Ma.
ii. WILLIAM GROSS, b. 1579.
iii. ZACHARIE GROSS, b. 1581.
iv. MARIE GROSS, b. 1582.
v. JOHN GROSS, b. 1584.
Generation No. 10
10. ISAAC10 GROSS (WILLIAM9, JOHN8, JOHN7, WILLIAM6, OLIVER5, OLIVER4, HUGO3, WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS)1 was born 19 November 1585 in Kelsagh, Suffolk, England, and died May 1649 in Boston, Ma. He married MARY HOWARD 4 August 1612 in England, daughter of CLEMENT HOWARD. She was born in England, and died in Boston, Ma.
Notes for ISAAC GROSS:
Came to Boston from Cornwall Adm. 1st Church Boston, 17 April 1636. In 1635 listed as "alotment of 50 acres". 1636 received grant of land at Muddy River. He was disaimed 20 Nov. 1637 & dismissed 6 Jan. 1638. Went to NH & became leading figure. Was 1st Ruler & undoubtedly qualified himself by taking Elder's Oath. Returned Boston & had large estate on the present Federal Hill, State St. & North End. Had title of "Mr" denoting a man of consequence. Left one of largest estates of his time. Will, proved in Boston 5 June 1649. Son Edmund, executon. By occupation he was a brewer, but when he was admitted to the First Church in Boston, Ma., on April 17, 1636, he was recorded as "an Husbandman". On April 17, 1637, Isaac Gross, with others, was appointed to look after the gates and fences. He became involved with the Wheelwright secession by joining the Antinomians. Because of this John Wheelwright, Isaac Gross, and others were disarmed on November 20, 1637. He was dismis!
sed from the First Church to that of Exeter, January 6, 1638.
His will was probated June 5, 1649, of which an abstract is:
29th day, 3 mon. 1649, Isaak Grosse of Boston, Brewer, being sicke, etc. To wife, the house I now live in, with the onset and one hundred pounds starling. £12 in money, the other in goods. Unto Edmund Grosse £200. Unto Clement Grosse £100. Unto Matthew Grosse £100. Unto Mr John Cotton, teacher of the Church of Boston £10. To Philemon Pormort of Wells £10. Wo William Mardayle of Wells £5. To George Bayles of Boston £5. To my grandchild Isaak Grosse £20. To my grandchildren, Hannah and Susanna Grosse each £5. To my grandchild Tho. Grosse £10. To the child which my son Clement's wife goeth withall, if born alive £5. To my wife besides the above mentioned my servand an indyan, named Lewes, My son, Edmund executon. Witness hereunto; Tho. Marshall, Isaac Waker: The Testator I. Grosse.
Children of ISAAC GROSS and MARY HOWARD are:
11. i. CLEMENT11 GROSS, b. 18 February 1615/16, England.
ii. MARY GROSS, b. 20 February 1613/14.
iii. MATTHEW GROSS, b. 3 May 1615.
iv. EDMUND GROSS, b. 16 May 1613.
Generation No. 11
11. CLEMENT11 GROSS (ISAAC10, WILLIAM9, JOHN8, JOHN7, WILLIAM6, OLIVER5, OLIVER4, HUGO3, WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS)1 was born 18 February 1615/16 in England. He married (1) ANN. He married (2) MARY Bef. 1649.
Notes for CLEMENT GROSS:
Came to colonies with father before 1635, settled in Boston & still living in 10 Octobet 1683. 1685 licensed Inn-holder and renewed every year up to and including 1678. In the year 1677, he declared to the court that through the influence of his wife and friends, he was drawn into sighning an instrument which he did not understand and which left him nothing to pay his debts. The court took the matter under consideration. On 15 October 15, 1679, the court in answer to his petition granted him liberty to sell his own lands.
Children of CLEMENT GROSS and ANN are:
i. EDMUND12 GROSS, b. 26 September 1669.
ii. ANN GROSS, b. 18 March 1670/71.
Children of CLEMENT GROSS and MARY are:
12. iii. SIMON12 GROSS, b. 1650, Boston, Ma; d. 26 April 1696, Hingham, Ma.
iv. ELIZABETH GROSS, b. 30 January 1652/53.
v. EDMUND GROSS, b. 9 March 1654/55.
vi. ELIZABETH GROSS, b. 5 March 1657/58.
vii. WILLIAM GROSS.
viii. CLEMENT GROSS.
ix. ISSAC GROSS.
Generation No. 12
12. SIMON12 GROSS (CLEMENT11, ISAAC10, WILLIAM9, JOHN8, JOHN7, WILLIAM6, OLIVER5, OLIVER4, HUGO3, WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS) was born 1650 in Boston, Ma, and died 26 April 1696 in Hingham, Ma. He married MARY BOND 23 October 1675, daughter of JOHN BOND and HESTER BLAKELY. She was born 16 December 1657 in Hingham, Ma, and died 1.
Notes for SIMON GROSS:
Settled in Hingham as early as 1675, his home being on Scituate. Served in King Phillip's War in 1675-1676. He was a cordwinder, though sometimes styled "boatman". His widow was appointed to administer his estate amount to £196.5s.3d
Notes for MARY BOND:
Name is English, originally was applied to a householder or peasant proprietor,the surname points to the amount of land the person tilled or the social position he occupied.
Children of SIMON GROSS and MARY BOND are:
13. i. THOMAS13 GROSS, b. 4 February 1677/78, Hingham, Mass.; d. Abt. 1726, Eastham, Mass.
ii. MICAH GROSS, b. 20 February 1684/85.
iii. ALICE GROSS, b. 26 April 1689.
iv. ABIGAIL GROSS, b. 28 June 1692.
v. SIMON GROSS, b. 11 August 1676.
vi. JOHN GROSS, b. 3 April 1681.
vii. ISAAC GROSS, b. 16971.
Generation No. 13
13. THOMAS13 GROSS (SIMON12, CLEMENT11, ISAAC10, WILLIAM9, JOHN8, JOHN7, WILLIAM6, OLIVER5, OLIVER4, HUGO3, WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS)1 was born 4 February 1677/78 in Hingham, Mass., and died Abt. 1726 in Eastham, Mass. He married (1) EXPERIENCE FREEMAN. She was born in Eashham, Mass, and died Abt. 1720. He married (2) JANE COLE. She was born 4 January 1695/96 in Eastham, Mass, and died in Truro, Mass. He married (3) ELIZABETH HINCKS 29 December 1705, daughter of JOHN HINCKS and ELIZABETH FRYER. She was born in Portsmouth, NH, and died 7 June 1708 in Hingham, Ma.
Notes for THOMAS GROSS:
Probate records of Barnstable, Vol. 4, pg 399, state that Thomas Gross died intestate. Resided in Hinham and Dedham, Ma.
Children of THOMAS GROSS and EXPERIENCE FREEMAN are:
i. SARAH14 GROSS.
ii. ELIZABETH GROSS.
iii. THOMAS GROSS.
iv. FREEMAN GROSS.
Child of THOMAS GROSS and JANE COLE is:
v. HANNAH14 GROSS.
Child of THOMAS GROSS and ELIZABETH HINCKS is:
14. vi. HINCKS14 GROSS, b. 7 June 1708, Hingham, Ma; d. 1786.
Generation No. 14
14. HINCKS14 GROSS (THOMAS13, SIMON12, CLEMENT11, ISAAC10, WILLIAM9, JOHN8, JOHN7, WILLIAM6, OLIVER5, OLIVER4, HUGO3, WALTER2, WILLIAM1 LE GROS)1 was born 7 June 1708 in Hingham, Ma, and died 1786. He married (1) BETHIA RICH. She was born 1707. He married (2) ABIGAIL CROWELL 25 July 1734, daughter of THOMAS CROWELL and EXPERIENCE CROWELL. She was born 3 June 1715 in Yarmouth, Barnstable, Ma.
Notes for HINCKS GROSS:
Lived in British provinces, then removed to Wellfleet, according to tradition. His house was east of Gull Pond, not far from the neck that divides the ponds. Held various offices & was quite prominent in business affairs. In will he remembers his second wife, Berthia and all of children excepting Hannah Rich. His grandson Hincks, is to receive certain articles, including his great chair & bible. The buld of estate-lands, tenements, etc-left to his elder son, Thomas the executor. wll dated 18 March 1786.
Notes for ABIGAIL CROWELL:
Name is English, derived from the place name in Oxfordshire Crowell 'crow's stream.'
Children of HINCKS GROSS and ABIGAIL CROWELL are:
i. HULDAH15 GROSS, m. JOSIAH RYDER; b. 1740; d. 28 September 1813, Chatham, Mass.
Notes for HULDAH GROSS:
Name is German, derived from a nickname for a large, fat, plump, stocky, husky person; sometimes the name is the shortened for of compound names favored by the German Jews.
ii. HINCKS GROSS, b. 1740.
iii. THOMAS GROSS.
iv. ALICE GROSS, b. 28 November 1737.
v. AZUBAH GROSS.
vi. SALLY GROSS.
vii. HANNAH GROSS.
viii. ELIZABETH GROSS.
ix. JABEZ GROSS, b. 1743.
|[GROSS-L] GROSS FAMILY by "Jack Heine" <>|