GILLIAM-L Archives

Archiver > GILLIAM > 2005-04 > 1114124493

From: Belinda Teague-Levy <>
Subject: RE: [GILLIAM] Epaphroditus Gilliam ancestors
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:01:33 -0700 (PDT)

Please help me with info on a missing link if you can. My gggrandfather was Thomas Littleton Gilliam who married Mary Ann Jones. Tom's (nicknamed TUNN) was a son of Littleton Gilliam. Littleton married Rosanna Young and she is buried in Mt. Moriah Cemetery in Edneyville, North Carolina, Henderson County. Littleton died in the Civil War and is buried in Petersburg, Va. McDowell, Buncombe and Henderson Counties are where I have Gilliam relatives living today. I would like to know for sure who Littleton's father and mother were. I am not sure how or if Littleton was related to Ephraditus, but Littleton's first or middle name may have been John.. I would appreciate any info you might have on my ancestors. Thank you.

Diana Ford <> wrote:Hi,

I am adding what I know about the Gilliams. Jesse Gilliam married my 4th
great aunt Jennette McDowell in Haywood Co. NC., Dec 25, 1810. Do any of
you have information on Jennette (McDowell)Gilliam?

Hope this helps,
Diana Ford

Descendants of Epahroditus Gilliam

Generation No. 1

1. EPAHRODITUS1 GILLIAM He married SARAH (SALLY) ISRAEL.

Child of EPAHRODITUS GILLIAM and SARAH ISRAEL is:
2. i. JESSE ISRAEL2 GILLIAM, b. Dec 1790, Ashville, Buncombe
County, North Carolina; d. 04 Mar 1867, Rosendale, Andrew County, Missouri.

Generation No. 2

2. JESSE ISRAEL2 GILLIAM (EPAHRODITUS1) was born Dec 1790 in Ashville,
Buncombe County, North Carolina, and died 04 Mar 1867 in Rosendale, Andrew
County, Missouri. He married (1) ELIZABETH SIPES. He married (2)
JENNETTE MCDOWELL 25 Dec 1810 in Haywood County, North Carolina, daughter of
WILLIAM MCDOWELL and ELIZABETH TEMPLETON. She was born Abt. 1791 in Baldwin
County, Georgia, and died 1860 in Andrew County, Missouri.

Notes for JESSE ISRAEL GILLIAM:
Jesse was probably born in Wilkes County, North Carolina. Ref. was from
Feb. 18, 1983 letter from Mrs. Jack Gilliam, Porterville, California. Jesse
moved with his parents from Wilkes County, NC to Buncombe County, NC after
the tax list of 1793 was compiled. Jesse moved with his parents to Buncombe
County., NC prior to 11 Oct. 1797, when his father bought 120 acres on the
North Fork of the Swannonoa River in that countyu. REV: Bumcombe County
Deed Book E, p. 473. In Buncombe County, Epaphroditus and his family lived
along the French Broad River. This land was sold in 1808 and the family
moved to Haywood Co., NC. The 1810 census shows they were in Haywood
County.

More About JESSE ISRAEL GILLIAM:
Burial: Rosendale, Andrew County, Missouri

Notes for JENNETTE MCDOWELL:
Jeanette was born in Georgia. Her husband lived in Wilkes County, NC and
then to Buncombe County after 1793. After they married in Haywood County,
North Carolina, they also moved to to Georgia and later returned to NC and
then on to Missouri.

More About JENNETTE MCDOWELL:
Burial: Andrew County, Missouri

Children of JESSE GILLIAM and JENNETTE MCDOWELL are:
i. UNITY JANE3 GILLIAM, b. 14 Jul 1811, Tennassee; d. 14 Apr
1865, Maysville, Dekalb County, Missouri; m. JOHN SMITH, 06 Aug 1828, Clay
County, Missouri.

More About UNITY JANE GILLIAM:
Burial: Apr 1865, Maysville Cemetery, Dekalb County, Missouri

ii. JOHN GILLIAM, b. 21 Feb 1813, North Carolina; d. 09 Oct
1867, Rosendale, Andrew County, Missouri; m. ELIZA JANE CLARK, 25 Feb 1836,
Clay County, Missouri.

More About JOHN GILLIAM:
Burial: Oct 1867, Missouri

iii. ELLEN GILLIAM, b. 02 Nov 1814, North Carolina; d. 19 Nov
1876, Salem, Marion County, Oregon; m. JOHN HARRISON LEWIS, 02 Jul 1835,
Clay County, Missouri.

More About ELLEN GILLIAM:
Burial: Nov 1876, Salem, Marion County, Oregon

iv. ROBERT GILLIAM, b. 03 Aug 1816, Haywood County, North
Carolina; d. 07 Nov 1886, Platte County, Missouri; m. JULIA ANN CHANCE, 03
Mar 1841, Platte County, Missouri.

More About ROBERT GILLIAM:
Burial: Nov 1886, Platte County, Missouri

v. ANDREW JACKSON GILLIAM, b. 23 Jun 1818, Clay County,
Missouri; d. 06 Feb 1890, Polk County, Oregon; m. SARAH THOMPSON CLAY, 12
Dec 1839, Platte County, Missouri.

More About ANDREW JACKSON GILLIAM:
Burial: Feb 1890, Polk County, Oregon

vi. MELINDA (BALINDA) GILLIAM, b. 1819, Missouri; d. 1858,
Andrew County, Missouri; m. JOHNSON HAGLER, 24 Oct 1844, Andrew County,
Missouri.
vii. ELIZABETH GILLIAM, b. 12 Apr 1822, Missouri; d. 1865, Andrew
County, Missouri; m. JOHNSON HAGLER, 30 Mar 1860, Andrew County, Missouri.
viii. MARY GILLIAM, b. 1824, Missouri; d. Bef. 1867; m. WILLIAM
GALLOWAY, 18 May 1852, Andrew County, Missouri.
ix. WILLIAM D. GILLIAM, b. 1826, Missouri; d. 31 Mar 1881,
Oregon; m. SARAH ANN BEERS, 29 Apr 1846, Marion County, Oregon.

More About WILLIAM D. GILLIAM:
Burial: Oregon

x. SAMUEL THOMPSON GILLIAM, b. 21 Feb 1828, Clay County,
Missouri; d. 17 Sep 1908, Visalia, Tulare County, California; m. ELIZABETH
LEWIS, 27 Dec 1852, Dallas, Polk County, Oregon Territory.
xi. JANE GILLIAM, b. 1830, Missouri; d. 1848.
xii. LAVINA GILLIAM, b. 1831, Missouri; d. 16 Jan 1894, Salem,
Marion County, Oregon; m. SAMUEL NASH, 17 Feb 1850, Andrew County, Missouri.