CoTipperary-L Archives

Archiver > CoTipperary > 2006-08 > 1156523046

From: "Gay O'Neill" <>
Subject: [COTIPPERARY] Dwyer Shanahans Upperchurch and surrounds
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 00:24:06 +0800

I sent this yesterday but it did not go through.
Trying again.
I have a very interesting research document on the Kennedy's and Shanahan's
centered around Upperchurch and nearby townlands. It is the story of the
family of Bridget Kennedy and James Shanahan most likely born around 1780.
On two occasions records show that their home was Ballynahow for they were
there in 1818 and 1822. There children were:
Timothy 1804
John (the oldest - birth date unknown.)
Michael 1814
Thomas 1815
James 1816
Nancy 1818
Patrick 1822
Between the years 1804 and 1813 some daughters would have been born and it
is believed these would include:
Catherine who married William Kennedy and Jani who married Patrick Kennedy.
Timothy Shanahan married Bridget Kinnane who was then 26 and known as Biddy
and she came from Upperchurch. They lived in Carrigeen (as stated on
shipping records to Australia)
This man became know as Ureka Tim as he was involved in the Eureka Stockade
in Ballarat, Victoria. Many years later when he was in his 80's and he was
asked by a journalist the reason he emigrated and he said "No it was not the
gold discovery that brought me out. In Carrigeen, Barony of Kilmarney, where
I lived, seventeen houses were burned in one day by way of eviction. I at
once made up my mind to be under Parker, Our Landlord, no longer, and I came
out here".
Eureka Tim was a store keeper during the Eureka Stockade.
John Shanahan married (known as Carigeen John) married Peggy Ryan..
Children of this couple
James 1832
Anthony 1834
Biddy 1836
Honora 1838
John 1842 Sponsors known for the above children email if required.
This family also came to Ballarat, Victoria, Australia 1852
If anyone would like to know children or sponsors of baptism please email
me:
This family came to Port Phillip in Victoria
Thomas Shanahan known as Ballarat Tom) born Castlehill married Mary Bourke
both lived in Castlehill in 1851
Children include
James 1842
Patrick 1845
John 1847
Bridget 1850
Anthony (birth date unknown)
This family came to Port Phillip in Australia 1852
Michael Shanahan married Catherine Maher and Margaret Hacket
Children of Michael (Myrniong Mick) and Catherine Maher include
Bridget (Biddy) 1839
Margaret 1841
Mary 1844
James 1846
Anne 1850
This family came to Geelong Victoria arriving 1852
he married Margaret Hackett July 1854 in North Richmond, Victoria, Australia
James Shanahan married Ann Bercery - married in parish of Borrisoleigh
Children James (birth date unknown)
Bridget 1851
Winnie 1854
Patrick Shanahan a brother of the above Shanahans known as (Echuca Pat)
Married Sarah Taylor in Baccus Marsh RC Church, Victoria Australia -
The above family is of significant interest to me as my Bridget Dwyer (nee
Shanahan) also lived in Ballan, and met her husband there Patrick William
Lyons. Her
brother lived in Ballan John Dwyer - married Mary Collins 1862 and her
sister Catherine Dwyer who married Patrick McGrath all three lived in
Ballan Victoria.
If any listers requires further information from the 30 odd page research
document on the Shanahan - Kennedy family please email me. I am not the
author of the document but happy to do look ups in it.
Gay O'Neill
Western Australia
Patrick Shanahan ended up in Ballan Victoria

This thread: