CHEROKEE-L Archives

Archiver > CHEROKEE > 2005-10 > 1130414064

Subject: BRIGHT - Nat.Am. & US1790 & 1800 US Census Listings - NC & SC
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:54:24 EDT

Susan,

Some other Family names in our line that intermarried with BRIGHTs were
Jernigan & Warren. Our lines settled in JOHNSTON & SAMPSON Counties in NC. In
1790 DOBBS County is listed, which later became a part of JOHNSTON & WAYNE
Counties. BLADEN County Brights may have went into Sampson County (next door),
where there are several descendants. LENOIR County is also next to JJOHNSTON
County, NC. I don't know much more other that alot of my lines carried the
BRIGHT Surname as their First name.(Ie: Bright Jernigan, Bright Barefoot, Ol.
Bright Strickland....) AND that they were of Native American Blood. It appears
JAMES BRIGHT may have been the progenitor. (I beleive this is the grandfather
of our JAMES BRIGHT BAREFOOT.) I noticed there were also JAMES BRIGHTs in
Spartanburg- where you are looking.

ALL OF THESE COUNTIES SURROUND SAMPSON- WHICH HAS MANY DIFFERENT NATIVE
AMERICAN POPULATIONS THAT APPEAR TO HAVE BANDED TOGETHER FOR SURVIVAL. The
"LUMBEE" Indians are also next door to Sampson - in ROBESON County. It appears the
TUSCARORA, CHEROKEE (LOST?) WACAMAW, COHARIE /CROATAN & more settled (-or
should I say -found refuge, ) in this region and have many decendants living
today. I am one of them. Many Native Women did intermarry with the white
population, producing alot of "WHITE" INDIANS.

IF your BRIGHTs were from these area- it is quite possible there is Native
American Heritage. All of my lines that carry the BRIGHT surname as a first
name - are mixed white & Native American.

I have enclosed the US1790 & 1800 BRIGHTs for NC & SC Census. There were
none listed in VA (in a Heritage Quest search.) Let me know if you find a
connection!

BRIGHTs In US1790 CENSUS
North & South Carolina

NORTH CAROLINA
Surname Given Name State County Location in 1790

Bright, ANN NC - PASQUOTANK EDENTON District.

Bright, ASA NC - PASQUOTANK EDENTON District.

Bright, CHARLES NC - CURRITUCK - EDENTON District.

Bright, COURTNEY NC - CURRITUCK - EDENTON District.

Bright, ELIZABETH NC - BEAUFORT - NEWBERN District.

Bright, EPHRAIM NC - PASQUOTANK - EDENTON District.

Bright, GRAVES NC - DOBBS - NEWBERN District.

Bright, HEZEKIAH NC - CAMDEN - EDENTON District.

Bright, ISAAC NC - CASWELL - NASH DIST TAX LIST.

Bright, JAMES NC - BLADEN - WILMINGTON District.

Bright, JAMES NC - DOBBS - NEWBERN District.

Bright, JAMES NC - ROCKINGHAM - SALISBURY District.

Bright, JEREMIAH NC - CAMDEN - EDENTON District.

Bright, JESSE NC - PASQUOTANK - EDENTON District.

Bright, JOHN NC - CRAVEN - NEWBERN District.

Bright, MALACHI NC - CAMDEN - EDENTON District.

Bright, MARY NC - BEAUFORT - NEWBERN District.

Bright, MARY NC - DOBBS - NEWBERN District.

Bright, MARY NC - PASQUOTANK - EDENTON District.

Bright, ROBERT NC - CASWELL - NASH DIST TAX LIST.

Bright, SAML NC - BURKE - MORGAN District.

Bright, SIMON NC - BLADEN - WILMINGTON District.

Bright, SIMON NC - CHATHAM - HILLSBOROUGH District.

Bright, SIMON JR NC - BLADEN - WILMINGTON District.

Bright, STOCKL NC - CRAVEN - NEWBERN District.

Bright, TOBIAS NC - BURKE - MORGAN District.

Bright, WILLIS NC - CAMDEN - EDENTON District.

Bright, WILLIS NC - PASQUOTANK - EDENTON District.

Bright, WM NC - BURKE - MORGAN District

SOUTH CAROLINA

Surname Given Name State County Location in 1790

Bright, ABRAHAM SC - ORANGEBURG South - No Twp. Listed.

Bright, BENJAMIN SC - ORANGEBURG South - No Twp. Listed.

Bright, CALEB SC - ORANGEBURG South - No Twp. Listed.

Bright, EZEKIEL SC - ORANGEBURG South - No Twp. Listed.

Bright, JAMES SC - SPARTANBURG - No Twp. Listed.

Bright, JNO SC - DORCHESTER - ST. GEORGES Parish.

Bright, TOBIAS SC - SPARTANBURG - No Twp. Listed.
~~~~~~

BRIGHTs In US1800 CENSUS
North & South Carolina

NORTH CAROLINA
Surname Given Name State County Location in 1800

Bright, ARON NC - CURRITUCK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, BENJAMIN NC - BLADEN - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, BENJAMIN NC - PASQUOTANK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, EPHRAIM NC - PASQUOTANK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, GRAVES NC - GREENE - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, HANCE NC - CURRITUCK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, ISAAC NC - CHATHAM - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JABEZ NC - PASQUOTANK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JAMES NC - BLADEN - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JAMES NC - GUILFORD - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JAMES NC - LENOIR - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JAMES SR NC - LENOIR - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JARVICE NC - CHATHAM - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JOHN NC - CRAVEN - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JONATHAN NC - CURRITUCK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JOSEPH NC - PASQUOTANK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, MARY NC - LENOIR - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, NATHAN NC - PASQUOTANK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, POLLEY NC - CURRITUCK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, POLLEY NC - CURRITUCK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, RICHARD NC - BLADEN - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, RICHARD NC - PASQUOTANK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, ROBERT NC - BLADEN - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, ROBERT NC - CHATHAM - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, SAMUEL NC - BURKE - - MORGAN District.

Bright, SIMEON NC - CHATHAM - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, SIMON NC - BLADEN - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, SIMON NC - LENOIR - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, SIMON JR NC - BLADEN - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, SOLOMON NC - PASQUOTANK - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, SOLOMON NC - ROWAN - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, WILLIS NC - PASQUOTANK - - No Twp. Stated.

SOUTH CAROLINA

Surname Given Name State County Location in 1800

BRIGHT ABRAHAM SC - BEAUFORT - - St. PETERS Parish.

Bright, CHARLES SC - MARLBORO - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, EZEKIEL SC - ORANGEBURG - - ORANGE.

Bright, ISAIAH SC - SPARTANBURG - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JACOB SC - ORANGEBURG - - LEXINGTON.

Bright, JACOB SC - ORANGEBURG - - LEXINGTON.

Bright, JACOB SC - SPARTANBURG - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JAMES SC - SPARTANBURG - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, JAMES SC - SPARTANBURG - - No Twp. Stated.

Bright, TOBIAS SC - SPARTANBURG - No Twp. Stated.
~~~~~~~

In a message dated 10/26/2005 11:41:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,